Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Potato Cheese Soup
5 c. potatoes (cubed)
3 t. salt
1/4 c. chopped onion
Cover in water (not too much water) and boil.
In another pan:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. powder mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
4 c. milk
Stir till thickens...
add 2 c. cheese (we like sharp OR mozzarella)
Stir until cheese melts then add to potatoes (with water), stir and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
Easy Yummy Taco Soup
1 lb ground beef
1 med onion chopped
14.5 oz can stewed or diced tomatoes
14.5 oz can tomatoes & green chillies
15 1/4 oz can corn (including liquid)
15 1/4 oz can hominy (including liquid)
15.8 oz can Great Northern beans (including liquid)
16 oz. can pinto beans (including liquid)
1 lg. can chicken broth
1 1/4 oz. pkg. taco seasoning
1 oz pkg. dry Ranch dressing
Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 min.
Garnish: cheddar cheese & tortilla chips
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Yep, you read that right... Me. Shaila. Obsessed with something Healthy. It just goes to show that miracles still DO happen! (dad, you would be SO proud of me!)
Friday, May 23, 2008
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Here is a pic out the front door...
Just as I finished taking this pic the boys came running from the greenbelt... Dallin, Ricky, and Mike... they had the boogie boards out and were "surfing"! I love the fact that my camera has a 10 zoom BUT it is sooooooooo slow to focus that I didn't get him in "action"! I got a pic of him "getting up" instead, dang it! I need a new camera!
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Monday, May 19, 2008
Both receptions were very different and yet both so very, VERY much fun to plan!!! I thought I would try to do a slide show... and it worked!!! So, below you will see some of the decorating that we did for each! (Thank you to everyone who helped us - and there were many of you!!)
BTW, we are so blessed... Diana & Brittany are the BEST!!! I Love you both!
I would also like to thank Bobby & April Horspool for letting us use their back yard for Devin & Diana's reception and Dave & Mary Ellen for letting us use THEIR back yard for Derek & Brittany's reception, both were lovely yards!!! THANK YOU!!!
And, last but FAR from least I want to thank our cute Brieanne for taking all the great pictures! THANK YOU!!!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
1. Typically what time do you wake up? I set my alarm to make sure Dallin is up and ready for seminary at 6:15, but Saturdays I sleep till Brad makes me get up, LOL... he is a morning person!
2. On a good night what time are your kids in bed? Week nights we try to have family prayer at 9:30 so Chad can get to bed… Dallin goes up at 10 pm
3. How long have you been a mom? Yikes! 25 yrs!
4. How old were you when you became a mom? Holy cow this is telling!!! …22
5. What is your favorite kid TV show/movie? Uh… I have NO idea
6. What is your least favorite kid TV show? Again… don’t watch them so??
7. What is your favorite chore? chore?? Are you kidding? I guess doing dishes… NOT bathrooms! LOL
8. What is your favorite meal to cook? Cook? Who wrote this? Uh… honestly I don’t mind cooking it is just trying to decide WHAT to cook!
9. What is the meal you cook most often? chicken
10. What is your kid’s favorite meal? Probably tacos!
11. What is your favorite thing your husband does with your kids? It makes them ALL happy when he takes them to play golf!
12. What are 5 things that make you smile when you're being a mom? 1) Playing games with my kids (usually cards!) 2) Watching my kids joke with each other 3) Sitting at the dinner table after eating and just chatting 4) Family prayer and scripture study 5) seeing them smile and be happy.
13. If you could take your kids anywhere where would it be? Hawaii
14. When was the last time you went out without your kids? Friday night, Brad had the younger boys at the Fathers/sons outing and I went out with girlfriends
15. What is your favorite past time/activity to do with your kids? Playing cards
16. Name 1 thing you said you'd never do as a mom. Yell at my kids
17. What is your favorite quality that your mom has? My mom is very loving… last time we were in Utah, she didn’t know I was there… my friends showed up at the door (with me hiding) and she was so friendly and welcomed them in! My friends all love my mom! (Oh, and I love that she can quilt!!! THANKS MOM!)
18. What is your advice for new moms? They grow up WAY too fast and leave home… LOVE them! Spend time with them… talk to them and LISTEN!!!
19. What is the scariest or most heartbreaking moment as a mom? Seeing a child hurt… whether it is physical or emotional…
20. What is your most joyful moment of being a mom? There are so many, seeing them live the gospel, having them say they love me, laughing together, seeing them truly happy… I have to say that just a few weeks ago when the most of us were in the temple together, THAT is hard to beat!!! …eternal joy!
21. When was the last time you were told 'I Love You' by one of your kids? Last night on our phone call… thank you children, I love you too… more than you can imagine!!!
I TAG....Allison, Brie, Karen, Pam, & Debby F.
Friday, May 9, 2008
The sweetest experience in this life is feeling the promptings of the Spirit…
Don’t let the important things in life pass you by!
Find joy in today! NOW, today!
Every day in your life is a special occasion
Spend more time with your family
Say I love you
(spend time with your family) Childhood doesn’t come back, if you miss out on something there will be sorrow.
Give your child a compliment.
Say I love you.
Give a hug.
Find joy in the journey.
One day each of us will run out of tomorrows.
He spoke of adversity, trials…
STORY of father watching his daughter in Kindergarten…
Playing, got hurt…
On more than one occasion, he almost went in to save her then he realized the scrapped knees and tears are needed to give her strength… and so it is with us.
Life was not meant to be easy we were not meant to have a consistently smooth road.
We came here to experience… it will make us stronger.
The stronger the winds, the stronger the trees.
Life makes us stronger, better, polished, beautiful.
He spoke of some of the attributes that we need to develop… kindness, sensitivity, compassion, love, forgiveness, patience, faith, fortitude, humility…
Only the master knows the depts of our trials and He alone can give us comfort.
He spoke on inadequacy, and told us to focus on the good that we HAVE done…
He concluded by saying… May the Lord bless you and give you peace… May you have a safe jouney on the pathway of life is my prayer for you..
When it was over he got up to leave, he walked to the tunnel in the Marriot Center and he turned and waved to everyone! Then everyone waved back, I think he was surprised, it was so cute so he waved again and everyone waved.. then he turned all the way around and waved to every spot in the Marriot Center and left... he is so cute, so sweet, and so in tune! The Spirit was so very strong, no one wanted to leave, everyone just sat there in silence and soaked up the Spirit for a bit... it was a very tender time. I KNOW he IS our prophet, that he leads and guides the Lord's church here on Earth! I am very grateful to have been there in his presence!
It was a wonderful trip... Now, I want to go to Education Week in August!