Friday, January 1, 2010

A California Christmas!

Most of you were probably building snowmen, drinking hot chocolate, and making snow ice cream while we here in Cali were putting lights in our palm trees and visiting the beach... I have to say while I love visiting my mom and enjoying the beauty of a fresh white snow but I always love coming home to the WARM sunshine! I love living in southern California... we have been here for about the last 23 years. I LOVE the beach... the sand between my toes, the cool water, the warm sun on my face, the breeze thru my hair wading in the water and picking up pretty seashells, making sandcastles, sitting in the sand and watching the sun go down... oh yeah, I LOVE the beach! (I have to say my favorite trip ever was to Maui... and going snorkeling and swimming with the awesome sea life!)

The boys love going to the beach in the winter and looking in the tide pools for various sea life. It pretty much has become a tradition every Christmas. They miss the beach while living in the snow while they are off at school.... So on Monday Dec 28th we headed out to the beach to see what we could find!

Here are some beautiful shots of the ocean/beach that we took!








And here are some of the very cool animals that they found! These little guys are Brittle Starfish, I have to tell you it felt like a spider crawling on my hand... they are fearless, I thought it was going to crawl right off my hand and fall to the sand below! It really tickles when you hold them!

Devin searching the tide pools...



Doesn't this look cool? We saw sea slugs, sea urchins, starfish of different colors, a few octopi....it was so fun!



Dallin bringing up a starfish for me to hold...


Cool, huh?

Here the guys had found a very large octopus but he didn't want them to get him, he hid further under the big rock, they tried to move it but it was way too heavy, Devin had a hold of one of his arms but it was VERY strong, Devin's arm was shaking as he was trying to pull it up for everyone to see, at one point the octopus was able to bring Devin's hand to his beak and bit him! (just the tip of his finger) They found a tiny tiny octopus but I guess I didn't get a picture :(

This little guy looked hard but he was quite mushy, lol...

My climber boy, Chadman...

Diana soaking up some rays! It was a gorgeous day, about °74! We had to shed our sweatshirts! What a beautiful day!



We even saw a Sea Lion who was waiting for the tide to come back in to take him away...





Goodbye for today...

After we left we went to Togo's for lunch... what a wonderful time we had! There is just nothing like being with family and enjoying the sunshine!

10 comments:

tammy said...

Gorgeous! You are a lucky girl. I'm like you, I need my sunshine and palm trees, but sadly there is no ocean here in AZ. Guess I'll just have to come visit you!

Bren's Life said...

That is so cool! I had no idea those things could be found!! I have also never ever seen one of those. ok most of those things. But that first weird spider looking thing! Whoa...
Makes me want to go to the beach. What beach was that anyways? I love the rocks.
It was Beautiful here on Christmas. I loved the cool crisp weather without any snow. I can't imagine being trapped inside on Christmas!

Letti said...

I love that my kids can play outside with their new toys on Christmas. California Christmas' are the best.

So where are those tide pools? Please share?

Nancy said...

I too love California at Christmas and I love, love, love the beach! It looks like you had a great day!

Joy For Your Journey said...

What beautiful pictures of the ocean and what great pictures of the sea creatures!! I love the ocean. Too bad we don't live closer. But at least we weren't freezing in snow for Christmas. It was just cold enough for hot chocolate but warm enough to be comfortable during the day.

rad6 said...

California Christmas is definitely unique!!! We are a little colder than that, but have enjoyed Christmastime at the beach before and love it.
So great.

Unknown said...

I think I could get used to livin' in Cali myself! I'm a sun girl but my husband is a snow guy. Somehow we've met in the middle of the country...barely any snow and no sun!
Hope you had a great Christmas...looks like you did!

Da Bergs said...

Come on over Tammy!!!

Bren, that was at Cornoa Del Mar...

Glad everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

CB said...

I am a native Northern Cali girl and all my growing up years I loved visiting the beach at Christmastime - although we were a little colder in the North no 74 degree days in December there!
We have been in Idaho now for 19 years and I have to say I love snow and for me it doesn't feel like Christmas without it. We have opposite stories I think:)
Your beach pics are gorgeous and holy cow I cannot believe your boy got nipped by an octopus!
Hope this New Year is wonderful and happy for your family!
Cherie

Scrappy Girl said...

Wow! I love all those pics. I had to show them to the little ones. They were amazed at your son holding a star fish. Thank you for sharing the adventure! At 15 degrees here I would love to feel that CA sunshine!