Sunday, July 27, 2008

A loving parent...

As I prepared my SS lesson last night (yeah, last min, my fun SIL was in town) I thought of Alma giving his sons his last words of wisdom... What would I say to my children? He shared his conversion story. He bore his testimony. (Why is it important for children to hear their parents bear their testimonies? In what ways have your parents' testimonies influenced your life?) He praised them and encouraged them to keep up the good work. The tone of the message to each one is loving and fatherly...

And to his prodigal son... (Alma 39:7) "I would not dwell upon your crimes to harrow up your soul if it were not for your good." Alma's love for this son is clear as he carefully points another way, moving him toward the light. He does not disdain this boy or call him names. He does not confine Corianton into a position of hopelessness or paint him into a corner. We cannot see Alma telling his son that he is a wretch, an embarrassment. Instead, he calmly and forcefully tells the truth. Repent and do them no more. You knew better. Turn to the Lord with all your mind, might and strength. Acknowledge your faults. And then he speaks to him about the Savior... the atonement... the ONLY way back. Our Father with his tender mercies... loves us and provided a way! Alma taught in a calm manner and with great power, and Corianton does ultimately respond and repent.

Every child of God does not walk a straight path back to the kingdom of God, and blessed is the parent who will never, never, never give up. Parents are often given eyes to see the eternal nature and possibilities for their children, when all the current evidence and behavior screams the contrary. "You cannot fool me; I see you there. I see beyond your disguises and masks, and I know who you are," says the wise parent with a stewardship over a difficult child.

12 comments:

Derek and Emily said...

I'm glad I found you! This is Emily (Morris) McLaughlin.

What a great post! There are so many challenges to parenthood, but so many rewards. I love being a new mommy! Check out our blog, it's pretty much all about Ethan, but he is our life now!
http://derekandemilymac.blogspot.com/

Pancake said...

GREAT post Shaila!! Tender post

Jan said...

Love this so much Shaila. It really is so true that we as parents have to be as straight forward as possible. Keeping in mind always, that we are watched.

I need to bear my testimony more publicly. I do it more privately to them. They need to see courage more from me.

Thanks for this insightful post. You are going to be so good in your new calling. Exciting.

Janell said...

Couldn't help but apply this to my life and many thoughts I had today - this parent's wisdom can also be extended to spouses, or siblings, or anyone you love who is taking a bit of a detour at the moment. Thanks for this!

Da Bergs said...

Emily! I am glad you found me too! Holy cow that babe of yours has grown! He is sitting up!! He is darling!!!

Thanks, Pam... as was yours!

And, Jan, thank you too... you are a great example to me!

Frumpy luv!!! You are SO right! Alma went on to talk to Corianton about the "example" he was to the Zoramites! This does apply to more than just our children! We need to love all... and be an example to all! THANK YOU!

tammy said...

Loved reading this! Especially since I missed SS today and volunteered to help in the nursery. Thank you for posting this. And I agree, sometimes it's spouses, siblings or even friends that may need our example and love, and mostly for us to not give up on them.

chelle said...

Thanks for sharing this. Right after I read this, I had to go down stairs and talk with my son about a wrong act he was doing. I used a calm manner and he really listened. I got down on the floor and looked up at him so he did not feel I was towering over him. It was great. He really listened! Thanks for the post and the information, the timing was perfect. m

Joneel said...

Wow girlie, you have lots of comments. I was just going to say
"Right On".

chelle said...

When did Saturday night become last minute? I always thought preparing your lesson during sacerment meeting was last minute! ;0 m

tiki_lady said...

mechelle, love your last comment. LOL, Enjoyed this post.
I am so grateful I have the children I have and the challenges each come with. We as parents are given direction, inspiration and even revelation for our children and family.
What works for one doesn't work for another. Our rules and expectations are the same for each of our children. you will go to church. You will be home at this time. You have your agency. You can go happy or sad, but you are going. This is our rule. It might not work for another. I too, love the example that Alma gave to his sons and how he shared his testimony with each one of them PRIVATELY, as it attained to each one differently but his testimony was the same. I enjoyed this insightful post.

Da Bergs said...

Mother Goose, you are SOOOOOOOOO right, what works for one does NOT work for another!!! AND, I love your remark... how he shared his testimony with each child privately! Thank YOU!

Anonymous said...

i love reading your insights and thoughts about the "important things" .... this is a beautiful reminder to all parents and thank you for sharing it!