Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Soup Weather

Well, with the return of cool weather, I thought I would post my 2 favorite soup recipes...

Potato Cheese Soup

5 c. potatoes (cubed)
3 t. salt
1/4 c. chopped onion

Cover in water (not too much water) and boil.
In another pan:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
stir
add:
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. powder mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
4 c. milk
Stir till thickens...
add 2 c. cheese (we like sharp OR mozzarella)
Stir until cheese melts then add to potatoes (with water), stir and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.

Easy Yummy Taco Soup

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion chopped
14.5 oz can stewed or diced tomatoes
14.5 oz can tomatoes & green chillies
15 1/4 oz can corn (including liquid)
15 1/4 oz can hominy (including liquid)
15.8 oz can Great Northern beans (including liquid)
16 oz. can pinto beans (including liquid)
1 lg. can chicken broth
1 1/4 oz. pkg. taco seasoning
1 oz pkg. dry Ranch dressing

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 min.
Garnish: cheddar cheese & tortilla chips

5 comments:

Pancake said...

YUM!!! We are in the Colorado Monsoon season! (Sure feels like it lately) These will be great!!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

First, you have a lovely blog. Second I love these recipes...or how they look and will have to try them out. I love soup, but I live in the South so we won't be having soup weather for a long time.

Drake Family said...

Yeah I am always needing new recipes...I will have to give them a shot. Thanks...sound yummy! And as for those "yummy" peas you are obsessed with...I'm not so sure I would like them, but I know my kids would I might have to grab some next time I am at Costco.

Anonymous said...

ok why are you not contributing to my recipe blog?! do you need another invite? i love ground mustard and have never seen it in a soup ... can't wait to try! thanks!

Da Bergs said...

Okay, Brie, give US ALL the addy to the recipe blog again!!! WE ALL NEED TO GO THERE!!!